The Raleigh Superbe three speed is possibly my most classic and classiest bike! I bought this from my friend Todd late in 2015. This bike replaced my older three speed, the Raleigh Wayfarer. The bike was in overall good condition when I received it, but me being me I decided to add/tweak things:
- Wheels: Both of them have been rebuilt using modern aluminum SunRims CR-18, which means I can retain the original 26″ x 1 3/8″ (590) wheel size! Tires are Panaracer Col de la Vie, which are the plushest tires for this size wheel.
- Lighting: The bike came with a Sturmey-Archer Dynohub! I wired it up with modern LED lighting: A B+M headlamp and tail lamp. While the power output of a vintage Dynohub is smaller than modern standards (1.8W vs 3.0W), LED lighting is so efficient you hardly notice. Plus, it will be much brighter than a vintage incandescant!
- Cockpit: Swapped out the extant cockpit with Kalloy stem, Nitto Albatross bars in chromoly, modern Tektro brake levers, and reproduction black “John Bull” rubber grips. All rounded out with a Crane brass bell!
- Saddle: Brooks B-17 in black. Classic!
- Pedals: MKS Sylvan, a classic looking rat-trap style that goes well with the bike.
- Gearing: I put a 23 tooth cog on the rear, which gives me a decent low around 39 gear-inches.
- Other: A nice Pletscher “clem” rack in the rear. My rear light is mounted to it! The rack usually holds some Carradice panniers. I also occasionally mount a Carradice saddlebag here, and if I really need it a small Acorn handlebar bag in front.