Deadlines, deadlines. The Pedalpalooza print calendar deadline (in)conveniently occurs while I am out of town. So I’ve spent the last week or two trying to sort it all out! And finally by 10 AM on the Sunday when myself and Emee board the Empire Builder eastward to St. Paul, sorted I am!
It’s a good slate of eight different events for June, about my average count (read: more than I really should.) As always, there’s things I do every Pedalpalooza, and new stuff. Some stuff open to anyone, some stuff so weirdly esoteric you probably won’t come. 😉 So without further ado, here’s what I’m doing:
- Sat June 2-Sun June 3: Three Speed Campout Camp via three speed! We’ll be heading to Stub Stewart State Park. 22 mi ride (one way), 1/2 on country roads, 1/2 on rail trail. Supply stop in Banks, halfway on ride. Limited to 3, 4, 5 spd IGH bikes. Register here: threespeedcampstubstewart2018.eventbrite.com
- Wed June 6, 6 PM: Remnants and Relics Ride Skidmore Fountain/Ankeny Plaza, 18 SW 1st Ave 10mile tour hitting up many of the remnants of Old Portland that still remain. Ride not a loop but will end near transit and food/beverages. Presented with Dan Haneckow of Cafe Unknown.
- Tues June 12, 6:30 PM: Bike Touring Workshop Velo Cult Bike Shop, 1969 NE 42nd Av Learn more about bike touring and camping. Discussing equipment, planning, and cost as well as day-to-day life on the road. Limit 12 participants, registration required. https://bike-tour-wkshp-june-2018.eventbrite.com
- Sun June 17, 5 PM: Proper Pedal Picnic Green Zebra Grocery, 3011 N Lombard St A classy type of picnic ride, this one is about stepping it up. Dress up nicely and think about nice foods and beverages to bring. Blankets and nice picnic setups are good too. Ride will be approx 5mi to mystery picnic destino. Bring lights/layers.
- Mon June 18, 6:30 PM: Two Speed Kickback Ride Peninsula Park Rose Garden, 700 N Rosa Parks Way A casual 10mi cruise on bikes equipped w/ a two speed internally geared hub, Doesn’t matter what brand or if it’s kickback, automatic, or trigger shifter. End at food and (adult) beverage.
- Mon June 18, 9 PM: For the love of the bottle (dynamo) ride Lucky Labrador Tap Room, 1700 N Killingsworth St A 10mi cruise by night, kept company by the whirring of the dynamo wheel against tire. Dynamo must function and power at least front light. Please, NO HUB DYNAMO SYSTEMS! Battery light as backup OK. Bottom bracket dynamos OK!
- Wed June 27, 6 PM: Slough Country Ramble Kenton/N Denver Ave MAX Station Let’s explore the nearer reaches of the Columbia Slough! This approximately 10 mi ride will feature sleepy reaches of this waterway, plus other secret spots. Not a loop but will end near transit/food/beverages.
- Wed June 27, 6 PM: Three Speed Ride Paul Bunyan Statue across from Kenton/N Denver Ave MAX Station Casual paced ramble of approx. 10mi will explore some fun areas. Three speeds encouraged, but any bicycle welcome. Ride not a loop, but ends near food/drink/transit.
- Thurs June 28, 7 PM: Sunset Moonrise Ride P’s & Q’s Market, 1301 NE Dekum St A 5mi ride to a good spot to see both sunset and moonrise. Stock up on supplies and libations at P’s & Q’s, and of course bring a blanket, extra layer, and lights for the ride home. Sunset 9:03 PM, moonrise 9:30 PM.
Just…wow. What an agenda!