Hello friends, you may have noted a few “my bike with palm trees” photos up here lately. No, I am still not doing the Palm Tree Ride this year. I did it for a decade straight, and I honestly needed a break from it. Who knows, it may return at some point in the future, even next year. But I’m not thinking about that right now.
In any case, spotting the various Chinese Windmill Palms in the Rose City has always been a favorite activity of mine. Especially in January, when we are in the middle of winter. It’s a reminder to myself that we live in a pretty temperate climate, all things considered. That’s why I did the ride in January!
But the beginning of the new year is always a time for me to think about the rides I want to lead. I get out my notepad, scribble down the ideas, check the calendar, see what works. My big problem is that I have eyes bigger than my stomach in this department. If I don’t watch myself, I over-commit myself to leading a bunch of rides, because hey, I like doing cool rides! And I have to remember that I’m usually most excited about a ride leading up to the ride and during the ride. But the day of the ride, I sometimes lie in bed, wondering, “What have I gotten myself into?” This happens more often than not! 😉
Here’s the general idea for 2016:
- As El Presidente of Society of Three Speeds, I try to lead at least three Three Speed Rides a year. This year besides two smaller rides, traditionally in March and during Pedalpalooza, I really would like to do a longish “day ride”. An overnighter would also be fun, but don’t know if that will happen or not.
- I also like doing one or two “Country Bike Rambles” as well.
- And organize a couple group camping type trips! No big tour organization this year. Once was enough!
- I’d like to do another “Train Day” Ride. I put it in quotations since we’ve been doing the ride during the traditional Train Day which is usually the second Saturday in May. However, Amtrak/Union Station/etc has moved away from doing a celebration each year on that day, and it’s hard to figure out in advance if and when they’ll do something. So we (Dan Haneckow and I) are planning on doing it in June during Pedalpalooza.
- I may pull off another Dead Freeways Ride this year, probably during Pedalpalooza.
- And just do another history ride in general!
As the year shapes up, I’ll be posting these events as they come, so stay tuned. Now is a good time to remind you that there is both an Urban Adventure League and a Society of Three Speeds google calendar, both of which you can subscribe to (as long as you use google calendar!)