We’re two weeks into 2015, and now I’m finally getting around to my “things for 2015” posts. Well, I find it easier to actually think about what I want to do in 2015 once the new year is actually here. And I’ve been thinkin’ away like crazy! As always, there’s a bit I want to do in the new year. I know that I probably won’t accomplish everything, but that’s the way it goes. So what would I like to do?
- A bike camping trip nine of the twelve months of the year. This is how it played out in 2014, so it’s not an impossible goal.
- Some longer rides. We had a good deal of fun with the Chehalem Range Ramble in November, and I’d like to do more rides like this. While it may be fun to try another populaire or some randonneuring related event, it’s really tough when I can only take off so many Saturdays, and all that stuff happens on Saturday.
- Ride the Iron Horse Trail. After the failed attempt last September, I didn’t want to think again about this route over Snoqualmie Pass in Washington state. But I just started getting to the really great part of the ride before I was forced to turn around and I’m really bummed about that. So I’d like to try this again at some point, most likely not with a three speed. The benefit about this tour is I could do it as an out and back in 3-4 days from Seattle, so I wouldn’t even need to do a full vacation week for it.
- Tour around the Salish Sea. Yep, I’ve done this the past two years, but I love going up to the San Juans and all the other island and coastal areas in the Puget/Juan De Fuca/Georgia area north of Seattle. And this was my touring highlight in 2014. I can also do this as a 4 day mini-tour, though at some point I’d like to do a more extensive one to two week tour through here. This probably won’t be the year for that.
- Return to Minnesota for the Lake Pepin Three Speed Tour in May. Actually this one is a definite, as I got the vacation time off and am in the process of making arrangements! I had so much fun last year, I just have to go back this year! To do it “right”, I’ll actually be taking two of my three weeks of vacation off for this trip.
- Do a Three Speed Tour. Yes, I know the last attempt wasn’t good, but the pedal falling off was more a freak occurrence, the tires I had weren’t up to task, and cramming most everything into the Camper Longflap wasn’t the best strategy. This time I know better, and I’ll be doing a little honest-to-goodness Three Speed Tour (meaning hauling camping gear) after the Three Speed Tour. More details soon!
- And that leaves one full week of vacation. This year, I really would like to get back to Eastern Oregon to tour there. That was the plan last year, but did not come to fruition. This year, I want to really make it happen!
So yeah, this list looks pretty similar to last year’s goals and actual accomplishments. What can I say, I’m a man of habit! 😉 But seriously, I’m working in the constraints of working my full time job and all that. I definitely want to go on a multiple month tour in the near future. 2015 won’t be the year for that, as I should save up money in preparation for it. But maybe 2016…